Just imagine, 80-90% of diseases are related to you immune system. When we take care of our immune system well and this means keep it at the optimum level, we are very unlikely to get some serious disease. Imbalance in the immune system means you can either have an overactive or under-active immune system.
How does the immune system work?
The immune system is a system of many biological structures and processes within an organism that protects against disease. To function properly, an immune system must detect a wide variety of agents, known as pathogens, from viruses to parasitic worms, and distinguish them from the organism’s own healthy tissue. Read more about immune system in my previous blog entry here.
Internal immune system is made up of white blood cells (WBC) and a healthy person has anywhere between 3,500 to 9,000 WBC. For those who have a weak immune system and once they fall sick, their WBC count will be above 9,000 as well as those with auto-immune disorder.
How lingzhi improves the immune system?
Referring to the diagram above, let me explain one by one how linghzi helps each stage of our internal immune system. You can imagine it as strengthening and giving extra equipment to the soldiers during the war.
- Lingzhi re-inforces and strengthens phagocytes
- Helps eliminate the enemy (bacteria and viruses)
- Tests have shown lingzhi increases activity of phagocytes
- Supreses tumor cells
Natural killer cells:
- Lingzhi increases activity of natural killer cells
- Helps to promote vitality of NKC – to ensure we have lots of healthy cells
Without going into much detail, T-cells consist of Th1 and Th2 cells which need to be in optimum balance. Th1 needs to be higher than Th2. In case Th1 is very low, the person will have a very weak immune system and fall sick easily. If Th2 is very high, auto-immune disease happens, such as allergies, eczema, lupus, etc.
- Polysaccharides in lingzhi increase Th1 levels and Triterpenoids lower the Th2 cells
- Lingzhi modulates functions of T Cells
- Lingzhi promotes the production of antibodies (known as immunoglobulins)
- The antibodies are like weapons to fight off the enemy
- Antibodies also remember not to let the same enemies (viruses/bacteria) in next time they show up
So overall, lingzhi enhances production of immune cells and strengthens the lifespan of white blood cells. No western medicine in the market is able to increase Th1 levels and lower the Th2 levels at the same time. This is why lingzhi is known as the modulator as it strengthens the immunity, but doesn’t cause allergies.
Simple Steps to take care of your Immune System
Besides consuming lingzhi and having a balanced diet, it is important to do these few simple steps to ensure we keep a healthy immune system.
- Less Stress – besides external factors, a lot of the stress is caused due to colon disfunction. If we don’t have enough good bacteria in our colon, ‘happy hormones’ are not being produced by the colon. This is where the importance of probiotics comes into play as well as good source of fibre.
- Sleep Early – body needs time to detox. What Time Should You Sleep
By James PangFrom 11pm to 3am, most of your blood circulation concentrates in your liver. Your liver gets larger when filled with more blood. This is an important time when your body undergoes detoxification process. Your liver neutralizes and breaks down body toxins accumulated throughout the day.From 3am to 5am, most blood circulation concentrates in your lung. What should you do at this moment? Well, you should exercise and breathe in fresh air. Take in good energy into your body, preferably in a garden. At this time, the air is very fresh with lots of beneficial negative ions.
From 5am to 7am, most blood circulation concentrates in your large intestine. What should you do at this moment? You should poop! Pass out all unwanted poop from your large intestine. Prepare your body to absorb more nutrients throughout the day.
From 7am to 9am, most blood circulation concentrates in your stomach. What should you do at this moment? Have your breakfast! This is your most important meal in a day. Make sure you have all the required nutrients from your breakfast. Not having breakfast causes lots of health problems for you in the future.
- Keep your internal body temperature at the optimum (around 37 C)
- No cold water or beverages
- Consume food and drinks to warm up your spleen (ginger, wild yam, barley, etc). Too much raw salads or other vegetables can cool down the body too much as well.
- If you easily get cold feet, it means your body temperature is too low and you have bad blood circulation
- Exercise – we need exercise not only to keep out bodies in shape, but we need it to increase the oxygen intake. Oxygen in our blood is crucial for our cells to live in a healthy environment.
If you or any of your family members is constantly falling sick, meaning at least once a month or every two months. This means the immune system is very weak, the soldiers on the front line of defense are not strong enough to battle the enemies (viruses and bacteria) and therefore even minimal exposure to these will cause flu and fever. In case of those with auto-immune disease this means your immune system is overactive and needs to be lowered to reach the optimum. Lingzhi can actually treat any disease which steroids can cure as their functions are very similar. The only main difference is that lingzhi causes NO side effects so it is a much safer treatment.