I often hear people say they have a slight increase in their cholesterol reading, and most of the time they don’t do anything about it. Increased cholesterol levels are the first warning sign to tell you that your blood vessels are going to get ‘dirty’ due to the cholesterol build up. It works the same way as a sewage drain pipes; if too much dirt gets caught in it and nobody flushes it or scrubs the dirt our after a while the water flow will get smaller and smaller and eventually no water will be able to flow through.
As you can see from the image above, the cholesterol particles continue building up until plaque forms and after certain time this build up causes blood vessels to become narrow and in severe cases the blood vessels can actually burst. Therefore, the blood flow can become rather restricted and this can cause stroke and heart attack.
Process of cholesterol plaque formation:
- Damaged endothelium. The smooth, delicate lining of blood vessels is called the endothelium. High cholesterol, smoking, high blood pressure, or diabetes can damage the endothelium, creating a place for cholesterol to enter the artery’s wall.
- Cholesterol invasion. “Bad” cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) circulating in the blood crosses the damaged endothelium. LDL cholesterol starts to accumulate in the wall of the artery.
- Plaque formation. White blood cells stream in to digest the LDL cholesterol. Over years, the toxic mess of cholesterol and cells becomes a cholesterol plaque in the wall of the artery.
Food which causes high cholesterol:
- Food that contributes to high levels of blood cholesterol contains too much saturated fat, transfat, and dietary cholesterol.
- Saturated fat is a main dietary culprit in plaque buildup. It’s found in foods like whole milk, high-fat cheese, ice cream, sausage, and hot dogs
- Trans fat is found in fried foods and fast foods, frozen pizza, margarine, cake, cookies, and more.
- Dietary cholesterol is found only in animal products, such as eggs, meat, and cheese.
Treatments for clogged or narrowed arteries:
- Angiography, angioplasty, and stenting: Using a catheter inserted into an artery in the leg, doctors can enter diseased arteries. This procedure is called cardiac catheterization. Blocked arteries are visible on a live X-ray screen. A tiny balloon on the catheter can be inflated to compress cholesterol plaque in the blocked arteries. Placing metal stents helps to keep open blocked arteries. These stents act like small balloons to expand the blockage in the artery.
- Bypass surgery: Surgeons harvest a healthy blood vessel from the leg or chest. They use the healthy vessel to bypass blocked arteries.
Of course both of these procedures are very risky and reserved only for severe cases. In other, more milder cases, doctors will usually tell you to change your diet and prescribe cholesterol lowering medication. However, these medications have many side effects and can severely damage your liver, intestine and even muscles. They also also carry warnings that memory loss, mental confusion, high blood sugar, and type 2 diabetes are possible side effects. This is the reason why many people opt not to take the medication and completely ignore their high cholesterol reading. Even changing the diet can be a real challenge for most and it is not so effective in reversing the damage.
How can Lingzhi help?
- Lowers the cholesterol – lingzhi has the ability to lower the bad cholesterol and prevent the liver from producing an excessive amount of cholesterol. In 2004, Swiss researches used an animal testing model on hyperlipidemic mini-pigs and found that lingzhi effectively reduced total cholesterol by 20% and levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) by up to 27%. In 2005, the same Swiss research team discovered that the cholesterol-lowering mechanism of ganoderma was a result of ganoderma triterpenoids (ganoderic alcohol and ganoderic acid) inhibiting the bio-synthesis of cholesterols in the liver of the mini-pigs.
- Prevents blood clots from forming – just imagine if your blood is full of fat and cholesterol and the circulation is poor due to narrowed arteries, the chances of blood clots forming is very high. Linghzi helps to clean your blood by reducing the fat and cholesterol and also assists in better circulation and therefore the blood flow becomes a lot smoother, preventing strokes and heart attacks from happening. For those who are not familiar, stroke happens when there is a blood clot in the brain and heart attack with a blood clot in the heart. Research at China Tongji Medical University showed that after taking 12 capsules of Yung Kien Ganoderma (lingzhi) per day for 2 weeks, the rate of platelet aggregation was inhibited by up to 32%, and the dry weight of thrombus was reduced by more than 30%. Yung Kien Ganoderma (lingzhi) also reduces the size of thrombi (clots) in atherosclerotic patients.
- Prevents hardening of blood vessels – elasticity of blood vessels becomes compromised when there is too much fat and cholesterol in the blood, this also causes high blood pressure. Lingzhi is very effective in lowering the blood pressure and ensuring the blood vessels remain elastic. The best results were shown in high blood pressure patients who consumed higher doses of lingzhi for minimum of 6 months.
Just recently we had a consumer in his 50s, who was diagnosed with blocked blood vessel and was suppose to go for surgery in order to insert the stent. He decided to give lingzhi a try first before going through such a risky surgery. He consumed 12 capsules daily of Yung Kien Lingzhi for 6 months. He went for another detailed check up after that and the doctor found that the blockage was no longer there.
There was a case of husband and wife in their 30s; wife had low blood pressure and the husband had extremely high blood pressure. Husband’s cholesterol reading was high as well. They both started consuming Yung Kien Lingzhi, 6 capsules per day. They were closely monitoring their blood pressure at home. After 3 months they saw significant changes in their readings and within 6 months their pressure was normalized.
If you know anyone who has increased cholesterol, even slightly please inform them to take certain steps in order to reduce the risk of it leading to some serious problems. Diet is definitely the first thing that needs to be adjusted in order to reduce the fat and cholesterol in the blood. Increase in good quality fibre will be able to absorb a lot of the fat and cholesterol from our blood as well. Lingzhi is very effective in not only helping when the damage has already been done, but also in preventing the chance of increase in cholesterol all together.