I came across a very scary article about a health danger which I have not been aware at all – “How a root canal can affect your health?” Being someone who has been to more than a few dentist appointments and had a few root canal treatments, I find this very worrying. Up until now nobody has warned me of root canal danger and I never thought twice about it.
Now, I feel like I’m walking around with a ticking bomb inside my mouth! The worst thing is that dangers of root canal treatment have been known for more than 100 years, but it has not stopped the dentists to preform millions of those procedures all over the world. As I have researched deeper, here are the things I have learnt and now that I thought about it, it makes total sense.
For those who are wondering what is root canal treatment, it is basically when the cavity reaches your nerve endings in the root of your tooth and the dentist therefore ‘kills’ your tooth by removing the nerves. The reason why I had to have a few root canals is due to the fact that my teeth and roots are very small and therefore the cavity reached the nerve endings fairly quickly (explanation from my dentist).
A simple illustration bellow:
Root Canals are breathing grounds for Bacterial Toxins
The research done by Dr. Weston Price discusses how root canals can cause bacteria to become trapped inside the structure of teeth. This can be the cause of many diseases that can be traced to one single source. A high percentage of chronic degenerative diseases may actually originate from root canals. The most common diseases are circulatory and heart disease. The next common diseases are those involving joints and arthritis. Can you believe it? You can get some serious diseases from simply having a root canal. There is also lots of scientific proof that even cancers could be caused due to root canal treated teeth.
Dr. Price implanted root canal fragments under the skin of the belly of 60,000 rabbits. Results unequivocally proved that diseases of the humans, traveling in the root canaled teeth, could produce the same disease in the rabbit in a matter of weeks. Heart attacks could be transferred 100 percent percent of the time – implicating root canals as one of the primary causes of heart disease.
Dr. Jones claims that toxins from the bacteria in an infected tooth or jawbone are able to inhibit the proteins that suppress tumor development. A German physician reported similar findings. Dr. Josef Issels reported that, in his 40 years of treating “terminal” cancer patients, 97 percent of his cancer patients had root canals. If these physicians are correct, the cure for cancer may be as simple as having a tooth pulled, then rebuilding your immune system.
Why is Root Canal a failure?
According to Dr Robert Gammal, creator of the movie Rooted which documents the risks of root canals, the main failures of conventional root canal therapy are:
1. It is impossible to clean out all the dead tissue from the canal of the tooth. Any dead tissue left in the body becomes gangrenous. The toxins that come out of gangrenous tissue are very toxic to the body and pose a threat to the immune system. Nowhere else in medicine would a physician suggest to leave dead tissue in the body.
2. It is impossible to sterilize the tooth which leads to the dead tooth having lots and lots of space within it for disease causing bacteria to proliferate. This is the enemy inside the gates of the body.
Dental journals combine these two above issues clearly. “It is now known that complete sterilization of an infected root canal is very difficult to achieve and complete removal of all pulp tissue remnants frequently is not possible.”(1)
3. Common protocol during root canal therapy is to place antibiotics into the canal. This antibiotic material only gets a short distance into the dentin tubules. The dental literature admits that this type of ‘semi’ application of antibiotics creates antibiotic resistant bacteria.
4. Substances used to cleanse and seal the tooth are cytotoxic (kills cells) or even carcinogenic (causes cancer).
What to do now?
If you are like me, and have had previous root canal treatments there are few things you can do. I’ve decided to make sure my immune system is strong enough, in case the bacteria does enter my bloodstream my body would still be able to fight it. The use of lingzhi and pollen as well as probiotics has become even more important for me after finding out this information. I think there is no point to stress about it and it is important to focus on maintaining good health instead. Once we have a strong immune system, our first line of defense will be strong enough to fight off any bacteria or virus that comes their way.
In case you do decide to remove the root canal treated tooth, make sure you do it the proper method. After the extraction, your dentist must remove the ligaments & to curette a millimeter of the infected jawbone & to flush out the debris with saline water. Failure to do this can result in absence of health improvement. The extraction needs to be treated as a proper surgical procedure.
What are the OTHER options?
If your dentist does suggest that you need a root canal treatment, here are a few options you can do if you decide to take out your tooth instead:
- Partial denture: This is a removable denture, often just called a “partial.” It’s the simplest and least expensive option.
- Bridge: This is a more permanent fixture resembling a real tooth but is a bit more involved and expensive to build.
- Implant: This is a permanent artificial tooth, typically titanium, implanted in your gums and jaw. There are some problems with these due to reactions to the metals used. Zirconium is a newer implant material that shows promise for fewer complications.
I will definitely explore other options if my dentist ever recommends root canal again. I really wish dentists would be a bit more aware about the dangers as there is a lot of scientific proof out there regarding this. Still there are more than 60 million root canal procedures done yearly, in the US alone.
Please share this information with your friends and family as well in order to avoid unnecessary diseases.